Fargo Davies presents “Mamma Mia”

Fargo Davies presents Mamma Mia

Signy Mastel, Editor-In-Chief

This year’s fall musical at Fargo Davies High School, Mamma Mia, broke both hearts and box office records. The show managed to sell out all four of its performances online in presales, a feat which is unheard of in Fargo’s high school theaters.

So many people wanted to see the classic fun-filled musical, in fact, that people rushed for tickets every night, meaning they showed up a full hour early in order to attempt to get tickets that people bought but didn’t show up to claim. Even buying tickets several days in advance was difficult. A friend and I bought tickets very early for Thursday, Dec. 6th, opening night, and we were still unable to get two seats together because the closest available spots had four other seats between them.

So was this musical worth the hype? I would say yes. Mamma Mia is not only a fun-filled and iconic musical; it’s a difficult musical. There are so many different songs sung by so many different characters that to be able to put it together with a cast made of students from one high school is amazing. The amount of talent and energy put into this show was absolutely phenomenal, and I thoroughly enjoyed their interpretation.

There were some numbers that were a little more put-together than others, which is to be expected at any theatre, but other than that I was very impressed. My favorite number in the show was Voulez Vous, which easily had the best dancing and the best costuming. The grand majority of the cast was in this number, and they were all decked out in white and silver and sparkles, and it was both hilarious and well-coordinated. Yet those words could be used to describe the whole show. There was great energy, great talent, and overall, it was a great show. I would give this show 4.5/5 Spartan heads because of the great music and the great performance by the actors. Mamma Mia, I would go again. Well, if I could get tickets.