Relay For Life excited for November kickoff

Signy Mastel, Editor-In-Chief

It may only be the end of October, but the Fargo North Relay For Life is already gearing up for its fifth anniversary. The Event Leadership Team for this American Cancer Society fundraiser/cancer awareness event is happy to announce that the 2019 Relay Kickoff Event will be held on Thursday, Nov. 8, at a table in the front of the commons during all three lunches. The goal? To get as many people and new teams signed up for the Relay as possible.

In a nutshell, the Relay Kickoff is the time when teams are able to start signing up for the Relay. Each team works together to raise money for cancer awareness and research up until the Relay, and then participate in the Relay event together. Students can either register a new team, or they can join a pre-existing one. These teams can be made up of any group of people, be that a group of friends or a school organization, the only stipulation being that for every ten students on the team, there must be at least one adult chaperone. For the first time ever, teams can even have students who don’t go to North. This year’s event has been opened up to every student of Fargo Public Schools in order to spread awareness.

Senior Tracy Aronson, one of the Team Development Leads, is very excited. “The Relay Kickoff is our first chance to get Relay in students’ minds. It’s such a fun and important event to the school and it’s great to get started so early” she said. Considering that the Relay won’t take place until March 29-30, it is quite an early start. There is a good reason behind this, however. For many sports/activities, the early start means that they are able to start their Relay teams while they are still in season, and is great for their overall setup and organization. There are other benefits, as well. “Teams who sign up now can get some cool swag as well as getting a jump start on their fundraising campaigns, which will help us reach this year’s goal of $15,000.” Aronson added.

That goal, set by the ELT, is the highest fundraising goal set at North. Senior Event Lead Audrey Haugen isn’t worried, however. “This year is our 5th annual Relay For Life event at North High and the ELT couldn’t be more excited! Our goals this year are to reach out to more clubs and activities that students at North are involved in, and to reach out to students from other schools to be a part of our event as well. We would love to see more students moved by this powerful event, along with other survivors and caregivers around the area” said Haugen.

If you are interested in the Relay For Life, but are unable to sign up during the kickoff, registration will be open online right up until the start of Relay itself, at relayforlife.org. Find the Fargo North event, and follow the step by step instructions. “For teams who want to sign up but miss the kickoff event, please contact myself, Tracy Aronson. I’d be happy to help anyone who is interested in forming a team.” If you have any other questions pertaining to the Relay, please contact Audrey Haugen or Mrs. Osvold.