The evolution of e-sports

Forbes.com

E-sports have had audiences that fill up an entire stadium at many events!

The activity of E-sports has changed drastically over the last decade. More and more people are gravitating towards this community, and enjoying quality time with their peers while playing video games.
As video games became more mainstream and acquired more attention, teams or groups of avid video game enthusiasts formed to compete in tournaments of a certain game. Tournaments are hosted at large venues, where spectators can watch the teams play on screen with announcers. With the rise of the team’s attention, new companies have sprung up that sponsor events and teams, just as they would sponsor other media personnel. While the older generation doesn’t understand the more modern games, overall it is an accepted new activity.
Fargo North High School recently invested in new computers and an Esports team.
“It’s just hard to say what will happen, because it’s all seniors for the most part, but they’re adding more games,” explained senior Sebastion Anderson , who plays for the Esports team.
The games played at tournaments have a wide variety, appealing to many different audiences. There are the more violent games such as Counter Strike Global Offensive, but then there are the fun non-violent games such as Rocket League. Rocket league is a game in which players controlling cars race around a dome, hitting a huge soccer ball attempting to launch it into the other team’s goal. There are other games in Rocket League too, such as hockey and basketball.
“The game is fast paced and exciting throughout the entire time played,” said sophomore Caeden Berthrow, who’s favorite game is Rocket League.
Within our school district, Rocket League is a game offered by the newly created E-sports team, located at South High School. Rocket League competitor Berthrow said, “It’s fun and competitive in game, with fast internet and a friendly environment to play in.”
The drawback of the esports team is that the games all have to be played on computer, which some students can’t afford. South High School provides the computers and other needed equipment, so anyone is free to play. Although the A squad is provided with the top tier computer, the B squad and C squad have computers as well.
If you are looking to have fun playing games with others consider playing esports for North High School!