Wonder the book has proven to be wonder-filled

Macie Graham, Reporter

August Pullman, also known as Auggie,  was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He’s about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you’ve ever been the new kid, then you know how hard that can be. The thing is, Auggie’s just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he’s just like them, despite appearances?

“Wonder” was published February 14, 2012 by R.J. Palacio. Palacio wrote “Wonder” after an incident wherein she and her three-year-old son were waiting in line to buy ice cream. Her son noticed a girl with facial birth defects. Fearing he would react badly, Palacio attempted to remove her son from the situation so as not to upset the girl or her family, but ended up worsening the situation.

Natalie Merchant’s song “Wonder” made her realize that the incident could teach society a valuable lesson. Palacio was inspired by Merchant’s lyrics and she began writing. The book has a released spin-off, “365 Days of Wonder: Mr. Browne’s Book of Precepts.” In August 2015, the book “Auggie and Me” was published.

“Wonder” is a New York Times bestseller and was also on the Texas Bluebonnet Award master list. The book was the winner of the 2014 Maine Student Book Award, the Vermont Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children’s Book Award, the 2015 Mark Twain Award , and Hawaii’s 2015 Nene Award. In Illinois, it won both the Bluestem and Caudill Awards in 2014.

This amazing book R.J Palacio’s book “Wonder” has had over one million copies in North America since it’s release date. It has also spawned a national anti-bullying movement, called dubbed Choose kind, and accompanying accomplishing hashtag #thewonderofwonder, through which librarians, teachers, and readers all over the world have been showing their enthusiasm for the book.

Overall the book is magnificent. I would definitelydefinetly 10/10 reccommend it. It’s a book that  will makes readers laugh, cry, feel things which they’ve never felt before and overall make the reader happy and smile.