Spring sports canceled by NDHSAA due to COVID-19

Senior Alex Egge ready to swing one last time.

Photo from Fargo North's Softball Website

Just as spring sport athletes were preparing for the season, it was gone. On Friday, March 13, during eighth period Principal Dahlen made an announcement saying NDHSAA had canceled all after school activities indefinitely, due to COVID-19.
“When I initially found out it was really emotional, because in the off season a lot of athletes work really hard to be ready for the season and to not have that was really hard,” said junior Sophie Thompson, who plays tennis in the spring.
Thompson is not the only one upset, as many were excited for this spring season of sports. This is a sad loss, especially for the seniors, who may not get the opportunity to play their sport one last time before college.
“It’s definitely difficult to know that my last season of running has been taken away along with these last few months I’m going to be able to spend with my high school friends,” said senior Gabby Kramer.
Many still are hopeful that they will get to play even part of the season this year, though it doesn’t seem very likely. COVID-19 has continued to spread around the globe, and is now just beginning to increase in the United States. On Day 3 of quarantine, North Dakota had just five confirmed cases, one being a 20-year-old from Cass County. They also had given out 253 tests, and 248 came back negative. Now on Day 22 we have 225 positive cases, 3 deaths, 19 currently hospitalized and 74 recovered. There have been over 7,000 tests given in North Dakota, and the numbers continue to rise each day.
“I’ve been trying not to dwell on it [not running] too much though, it’s important to remember in times like this that it’s not all about us,” said Kramer.
Currently, North Dakota Schools are closed indefinitely. Superintendent Dr. Rupak Gandhi has continued to update students and families on the situation, and now all the schools have begun distance learning. As most are well aware now, the chances of us going back to school as normal this year is very unlikely.
“It’s hard knowing golf is such a mental sport and preparing yourself for a season that might not even happen at all is really hard to do,” Freshman Henry Maughan said.
Spring athletes all are struggling, regardless of which sport they are in. It’s such a difficult time for not just athletes, but all North students involved in any extracurriculars, who were taking the time to prepare for the season that abruptly disappeared days before starting.
“I’m really sad about it, because I was excited to play up and challenge myself. I’m also going to miss being able to play soccer every day after school,” said eighth grader Shelby Middaugh, who would’ve gotten the chance to play for North’s soccer program this season.
It’s very easy for us all to instantly think of the negatives. However, we must remember that things are being canceled and closed for a very serious reason, and for all of our protection against COVID-19. With the whole world at our fingertips, it’s very easy to find workouts online through YouTube or programs such as Sanford Power, which you can do at home to stay in shape. If we all continue to stay at home, and try our best to social distance, all athletes could still possibly get their chance to play this year.
Kramer said, “We’re making these sacrifices for the greater good, it’s all about the bigger picture and looking out for those around us.”