• Mrs. Strand in Turkey at the forum in ancient Smyrna.

Showcase

Kathryn Strand: Brinning life to a dead language

• Inside Cara Munds first race as a Republican

News

Inside Cara Mund’s first race as a Republican

• Billy Ward dominates the wrestling season

Sports

Billy Ward dominates the wrestling season

• All about Walsh: not only a science teacher

Feature

All about Walsh: not only a science teacher

• Meet Angel the daschund!

Feature

Meet Angel the daschund!

The Scroll

The Student News Site of Fargo North High School

The Scroll

The Scroll

Being gay in a society full of hate

Made by me (in canva)

The world has a lot of different communities with an abundance of different identities. And the disagreement of ideas leads to most of these communities getting different forms of oppression and hate, like harassment and assault. One of these communities is the LGBTQIA community.
In American politics, hate for the LGBTQIA community has largely been rooted from ideals interpreted from the Bible. Christian groups made conversion therapy camps in the 1920s based upon the false pretense that being gay was an ailment that could, and should, be cured. Most countries outright criminalized homosexuality, arresting those suspected of homosexual behavior. Canada legalized homosexuality June 27, 1969, and the U.S. legalized it in 2003. Even as homophobic legislation is being banned and taken off the books, the community still faces discrimination rooted from the rhetoric and ideals that fueled the creation of those laws in the first place.
Because of the long history of discrimination, most metropolitan areas in the U.S. host pride events, including the F-M area. Every year in August, there is a Pride festival that goes on for a week with events like trivia and a dance, and ends with a parade. It’s reassuring to know that there is a supportive community here, as well as throughout the country.
There has been recent support for the LGBTQIA community in the U.S. Same-sex marriage was legalized in the U.S in 2015, making it so gay and lesbian couples could get an official marriage license, which was a huge step for equality.
With progression comes backlash, however. North Dakota and several other states have made laws targeting transgender youth, famously enacting legislation restricting gender-affirming care to individuals under 18 and prohibiting transgender women and girls from playing in women’s sports teams.
I have experienced judgement and bullying for my identity. Last year on the last day of school, when I was getting off the bus to walk home, a random middle schooler made homophobic comments to me and my little brother. To this day, we still get harassed on the bus by ignorant middle schoolers. It’s sad that my little brother has to deal with hate from his peers. It’s concerning that this form of hate has been normalized to kids this young.
When I attended Horizon Middle School in eighth grade, they had a Gay Straight Alliance club. When I went to meetings, I felt at home and supported in that space. I feel all schools should have this resource, and I encourage anyone reading to check out North’s GSA.
No one should feel like they can’t be themselves, and people shouldn’t face judgment for being who they are. I say that you should be yourself. It takes courage to be yourself, so don’t let anyone hurt you for being you, and accept people for who they are. This is how we can finally become equals.

What do you want your student body to understand from this?
That being gay in this society is hard, that no matter what you do to be happy with who you are, there will be people trying to attack you and make you hate yourself and regret being you because of some faulty facts and opinions rooted in hate.

Outline: informative/opinion
Purpose: to try to give people a change of heart and an understanding of the community and how it has been feeling lately to be a part of the community.
Point 1: the past people in the LGBTQIA community had faced
Point 2: how there is law and celebrations for the community held by the community
Point 3: how we still face hate today despite the progress