The Scroll

The Student News Site of Fargo North High School

The Scroll

The Scroll

Siblings in Sports

Siblings grow up being taught the same things and being raised the same way. At North, this seems to lead to siblings playing the same sports. It’s getting more popular to watch siblings in sports, because these siblings are getting older. Both of the siblings are getting onto the varsity team, and watching the chemistry on the field or the court is fun to watch. At North High, we have many siblings who play the same sport, as well as a few who play on the same team.
Jim Miller and Jack Miller are an example of this, as they both play for the varsity football team. Jim plays full back and grizzly, while Jack plays on the offensive and defensive line. The older of the Miller boys, Jim, is going into his last year of football, being a senior. Jack is right behind him, being a Junior.
“It’s fun playing with my brother. I mean, I don’t think many people wouldn’t want to play with their brother,” says Jack.
“We have been playing off and on with each other for my whole life, I couldn’t see myself not playing with him. Makes it more fun, and we are able to talk about the games on a different level than other siblings would be able to,” says Jim, “And it’s even more interesting at home because my dad’s a coach, so all three of us are able to talk about the game after.”
The Watson twins, Max and Maddox, are also fun to watch on the field. Both boys play hockey and soccer. They play together almost year-round and are fun to watch on the field or on the ice. Maddox is a goalie for the team and Max is on defense for soccer.
“We really enjoy being on the same team, I honestly wouldn’t see it any other way,” says Maddox. “It’s fun because we kind of just know what the other is going to do, making it easier to team up on kids and mess around a bit.”
“For me, I don’t like being on the same team as Maddox, I’m too competitive, and having my twin on the same team makes it harder. Put us on the same Hockey team, and yeah, I have a blast. But soccer, I don’t enjoy it.”
Swimming also has a sibling duo this fall, and its senior and freshman Grace and Maren Mansour. Both have been in the sport since 7th grade, and both girls have swimming as a primary sport.
“I mean, it’s a lot of fun. I look up to Grace, she’s the reason I started swimming in the first place,” says Maren, “I get to have more time with her and we have something in common, in a simple way. We have something to talk about at the dinner table.”
“I agree with Maren. I like that she’s on the same team as me, it has brought us closer. We also can be hard on each other in ways that other teammates can’t,” says Grace.
Thomas and Nick Webb have been playing tennis together for about 5 years. The Webbs love having a sibling there, for the support, but they also love the competition the other brings for them.
“As someone who is a few years younger than my brother, it was nice to have a familiar face on the team when I first joined. Now that I’ve been on the same team for a few years, it’s fun to compete against Nick,” says Thomas, “I’m able to compare myself to him and compete with him on a different level than the rest of my teammates, it has made the seasons more fun, and I’ve even been able to improve off it.”
Siblings in the same sport can be one of the most amusing things to watch. The natural chemistry that those teammates bring to the court is unlike anything else, and the competitiveness can be just as enjoyable. Whether it’s just watching their communication, or seeing one cheer for the other, it’s something those siblings will never forget. Next time you’re at a game, keep your eye out for the duos that grace the field.