• Inside the world on Billy Ward

Sports

Inside the world on Billy Ward

• Meet Angel the daschund!

Feature

Meet Angel the daschund!

• Sports

Carter Zeller’s 1000th Point

• Feature

Mental Health, an everyday struggle

• Feature

This Month In History: January

The Scroll

The Student News Site of Fargo North High School

The Scroll

The Scroll

Inside the world on Billy Ward

Billy Ward is a sophomore here at Fargo North, and at 16 years old, he is already finding incredible success in athletics. After a great football season, Ward found even more success on the wrestling mat. As a varsity wrestler since seventh grade, his sophomore season will be one to remember.
After moving up the podium the last three seasons: eighth place in seventh grade, fourth in eighth, and third in ninth; he’s finally finished on top. “It felt great to win state, it’s been a dream of mine for a long time. I’ve watched all these big names wrestle at the state championships. I never thought I’d get that far. It actually felt unbelievable. You can’t describe that feeling. It’s one thing to win at a team sport, but at an individual sport, the feeling is like no other,” said Ward.
Ward isn’t planning to settle and wants to bring this momentum forward to the next two years of his career. “I’m looking to dominate, I don’t really plan on losing. I want to set some records next year for sure,” said Ward.
Ward knows that his own determination isn’t the only thing that got him to the state championship, but recognized his support system and coaches who helped him along the way. “Through my coaches and hard work, especially Maughan and Burndog they both helped a lot. I also have a huge support system and that helps more than anything. I kept my head on straight all year working towards that final goal which was to win state,” he said.
While Ward has his sights on breaking additional records, he did something that some seniors only dream of doing: accomplishing 100 career wins. “I didn’t know how much of a big deal it was until I saw seniors that were just getting 100 wins. It really puts that into perspective. I’ve only wrestled a couple more times than 100 and it really helped me see the success that I’ve had,” said Ward. Next, he’s hoping to break the records for the most takedowns and the most wins in a career at North.
His accomplishment of 100 wins happened this year, in an almost perfect season. “I feel really good. The one loss that I had really sucked but I think losses make you better. That’s where you learn, and see what you need to fix and work on. I feel like it helped me in my state finals match. I knew what I had to do and I was able to execute,” said Ward.
Ward is as superstitious as it comes and has to eat the same thing after every weigh in: a yogurt, a bagel, a ham and cheese sandwich, and a cold grape pedialyte. Once it’s game time, he has a specific way to put on his shoes. Right then left shoe, then he has to tighten his right then left, but then has to tie his left shoe then his right. After that, he’s ready to go.
Wrestling is an individual sport and that’s one of Billy’s favorite parts about it. “It’s all your fault if you lose or win. You get back what you put in. Like in team sports, you might not get back on what you put in, but wrestling it’s different,” he says.
His favorite part of the season wasn’t even a self accomplishment. “When Harper Shultz got 3rd at JV rumble. He was absolutely wild,” he said.
Billy doesn’t plan to be done when he graduates and would love to further his career even after college. “Yes, I would love to. I am really looking for a scholarship anywhere honestly. To me, college wrestling is college wrestling no matter the division. You’re still wrestling,” he said.
Ward will continue to wrestle for North for the next two years. He is looking forward to hopefully breaking records and going 3 peat at state. Keep an eye out for him and all the incredible things he will continue to do!

Get To Know Billy

What’s your go-to karaoke song?
Truth Hurts by Lizzo
If you had a warning label what would it be?
Warning: Talks a lot
What’s the best part of high school?
The environment and all the people, I enjoy all the athletes, when I was playing football the upperclassmen were very welcoming.
What’s your dream job?
To be a college wrestling coach
Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Hopefully being on the Olympic team, traveling the world wrestling
Nicknames you have been given?
Billy, KingBills, Billdozer, Billybuckeye
What’s your biggest fear?
Spiders, specifically big ones
Least interesting thing about you?
I’m an athlete
Are you in any clubs or activities?
Nothing other than football and wrestling
If you had one wish what would you wish for?
Unlimited Pancheros
What are three adjectives you’d use to describe you?
Handsome, weird, not street smart
What’s your lucky number?
2
What advice would you give to freshman you?
Keep taking hard classes/ keep working in the classroom