The Scroll

The Student News Site of Fargo North High School

The Scroll

The Scroll

Girls hockey

The girls hockey team has had quite the run the past few years, being back to back champions for state, and are looking to do it once more. They have worked really hard to get where they are today and have one game against Jamestown, on Feb 15. Then, they go to the state tournament hosted here in the Scheels Arena.
With a record of 14-3, the girls are ranked second in the state and will be fighting for the title of state champions for the third time in three years. “It’s really cool to think about, just that we could be going three years in a row, and I’ve been a part of all of them so far. But we are just taking it day by day right now, trying not to look that far into the future, and taking one game at a time. But it is still fun to think about, and I’m looking forward to hopefully having that chance,” said junior Olivia Kalbus.
The girls are playing very well this season and their chemistry is unmatched, with a team of 17, they’re close. “We have a smaller team so it’s easier to get closer to everyone and we all play with each other on the ice, we all get our chances with everyone so it makes our team that much closer,” said sophomore Jada Purdy.
This team makes more than just memories on the ice, with the team being so close, they love hanging out and making the locker room a fun place to be. “I like our team bonding moments, and not even like bonding on the ice. The bus ride riff offs, and just dances in the locker room. We really try to keep the locker room light hearted and high energy, and have lots of laughs in there. We want everyone to be comfortable, and it’s a good place to bond and have fun before games and practices,” said sophomore Kenleigh Fisher.
While the memories off the ice are the ones that many will remember for much more than their high school season, there have been some epic things happening on the ice. “My favorite play is when Keneligh took a slapshot when we were playing West Fargo and hit the goalie in the head. That was really funny, we didn’t end up winning that game but it was for sure a memorable shot,” said Purdy.
The team also has a few game day traditions that they do before every game, which includes, but is not limited to, going to get teas from Summit Nutrition, and dancing to the Cotton Eyed Joe in the locker room “Some do it willingly, and other are kind of forced, but it has easily become part of our warm up now and gets us in a good mood before the game,” said Kalbus.
At the end of the game, the team has four awards that they give out to the players. They have two that they have had all year, and two new additions. The two older ones are the Bear Head, which is given to the hardest worker, or the “hungriest player,” and the Iron Spartan, which is given to the player who has shown the qualities that the team believes a Spartan is, and is the most rounded player of the game.
The two new awards that they give out to the team are the Quack Attack, and the Fiesta Muchacha. The Quack Attack is a rubber duck, one of their team mottos is “bend don’t break” so this goes to the girl who has had a low part of the game but they bounced back, like a rubber duck. Lastly, they have the Fiesta Muchacha, or the party girl, and this goes to the girl who had really gotten the team going/hyped up, so usually, it goes to the girl who had the first goal or big play of the game.
With the new PWHL league that has just opened up, for many of the girls, it has shown a new perspective and got them thinking about what they’re actually going to do after high school. “Growing up we have never had anything past college except for the Olympics and this just gives so many more opportunities to anyone who wants to play. I think it also grows the game too, you know like I have a different love for it now because I know that I can make my favorite sport a career now, and it’s just really exciting,” said Fisher.
The league is brand new this year and is a hit around the nation, bringing a new hope to women’s hockey players all around the US.
The Spruins picked up two road wins over Minot and Williston over the weekend, and play Thursday, Feb. 15 in their last regular season against Jamestown.
They’ll finish the season ranked second in the state, behind West Fargo. They’ll need to fight through the state tournament bracket starting on Feb. 22 at Scheels Arena.The team is really excited to go after another championship. “ It’s a different year, so we act like we haven’t been back to back. But it’s super exciting to think about, being back there. All anyone wants is a state championship, so the thought of having three in three years is surreal,” said Fisher.