• Mrs. Strand in Turkey at the forum in ancient Smyrna.

Showcase

Kathryn Strand: Brinning life to a dead language

• Inside Cara Munds first race as a Republican

News

Inside Cara Mund’s first race as a Republican

• Billy Ward dominates the wrestling season

Sports

Billy Ward dominates the wrestling season

• All about Walsh: not only a science teacher

Feature

All about Walsh: not only a science teacher

• Meet Angel the daschund!

Feature

Meet Angel the daschund!

The Scroll

The Student News Site of Fargo North High School

The Scroll

The Scroll

Mrs.+Strand+in+Turkey+at+the+forum+in+ancient+Smyrna.+
Mrs. Strand in Turkey at the forum in ancient Smyrna.

In Kathryn Strand’s classroom, you’ll discover more than just conjunctions and declensions. Mrs. Strand is a testament to the enduring power of passion in education, particularly in the seemingly niche field of Latin. In a world where the relevance of classical languages is often questioned, Strand stands as a vibrant beacon, proving that languages like Latin are not only alive but thriving under the guidance of those who love them. Her journey from a language enthusiast to a beloved educator is a narrative filled with dedication, resilience, and an unwavering commitment to bringing the rich tapestry of history and culture to her students.
Strand’s love for teaching was evident early on. As a child, she didn’t just play ‘school’ like many others; she revered it, holding her teachers in high esteem and soaking up every bit of knowledge with a fervor that was palpable. “I remember always playing school, I thought teachers were amazing. I worshiped my teachers,” She reminisced. This high regard for learning and teaching was not just a passing phase but a deep-seated part of her identity. Throughout her high school years, she was very active, being involved in activities like dance, cheerleading and even dabbling in gymnastics. Strand’s leadership as president of the Latin Club and her active involvement in the French Club and various bands showcased her multifaceted interests, particularly her love for languages and history. These experiences were not just extracurricular activities for Strand but stepping stones toward realizing her calling in education.
Choosing Concordia for her higher education seemed like destiny calling. With familial roots deeply entrenched in the Fargo-Moorhead area and a pre-existing connection to the community through her family high school network, Concordia was more than just a college; it was a continuation of her journey, surrounded by the familiar and the cherished. She was born here in Fargo, North Dakota, and was moved to a small town called Oakes, North Dakota. She then later ended up in Sioux Falls, where her middle school’s population was the size of her old town. However, she missed family, and when Concordia’s doors opened, she was able to explore the depths of learning to be a teacher and being around more family than just her normal household.
However, it was her unexpected pivot from French to Latin, following a challenging French proficiency test, that truly set the course for her future. “ I was a shy kid and in high school speaking the language was not as big as it is now, it was mostly grammar, so to say I was scared is an understatement,” Strand shuddered. This unexpected shift was less about moving away from French and more about discovering a profound connection with Latin. The language’s structure, its historical significance, and the stories it told resonated with Strand on a deep level, transforming her academic and career trajectory.
Strand’s transition from a minor to a major in Latin was not just an academic decision; it was a calling. “I just couldn’t stop taking the class, I told myself ok let’s try it for fun, and it later turned into, “ok just one more, maybe another, ok yes another” it was a very happy accident,” she bemused. Her professors at Concordia played a significant role in nurturing her passion, guiding her through the complexities of the language, and revealing the rich cultural and historical contexts that Latin offers. “The professors were just absolutely phenomenal at Concordia.” This deep engagement with the subject matter has been a cornerstone of Strand’s teaching philosophy. She does not merely teach Latin as a language; she brings the ancient world to life, weaving in the cultural, historical, and societal intricacies that make the study of Latin a gateway to understanding human civilization itself.
Strand’s commitment to education extends beyond the classroom. Her travels to historical sites in Egypt, France, Rome, Italy, and just this spring break, Turkey, which are sometimes accompanied by students, highlight her dedication to experiential learning. These trips are not just educational tours but immersive experiences, designed to deepen the connection between the students and the ancient world they study, making the past tangible and relevant. They’re also a fun way for her to explore the past right then and there instead of just a textbook.
At the heart of Strand’s teaching philosophy is her belief in the power of connection—whether it’s through organizing trips or engaging in lively discussions during Latin classes. “It’s really hard for me to sit still when the students are taking a test, all I want to do is talk to them,” she said, or simply share her passion for Marvel movies with her son. “A really amazing connection I have with my son, he is really into Marvel. It’s a good way to connect over a new Marvel movie that just came out when he comes home from college,” she happily said. These moments of connection are what make Strand a beloved figure not only within her family but also among her students and colleagues. Her ability to intertwine her interests with her teaching, to find common ground with students over the latest Marvel blockbuster when just seeing it with her son (and of course, her favorites are “Loki” and “Guardians of the Galaxy), or her ability to share a laugh with her running group at dawn; “sometimes, we hear later on complaints about needing to be more quiet, we are just having too much fun that early in the morning,” underscores the multifaceted nature of her approach to life and education.
Strand’s life and career are evidence of the idea that passion is the true driver of excellence in education. Through her dedication to Latin, she not only challenges the notion that it is a “dead language” but also demonstrates how a teacher’s enthusiasm and commitment can ignite a similar passion in students. Kathryn Strand is more than just a teacher; she is a guardian of history, a bridge to the past, and a guide to understanding the complexities of human culture through the lens of Latin. Her story is a compelling reminder that with enough love and dedication, even the ancient can be made new again.