• Mrs. Strand in Turkey at the forum in ancient Smyrna.

Showcase

Kathryn Strand: Brinning life to a dead language

• Inside Cara Munds first race as a Republican

News

Inside Cara Mund’s first race as a Republican

• Billy Ward dominates the wrestling season

Sports

Billy Ward dominates the wrestling season

• All about Walsh: not only a science teacher

Feature

All about Walsh: not only a science teacher

• Meet Angel the daschund!

Feature

Meet Angel the daschund!

The Scroll

The Student News Site of Fargo North High School

The Scroll

The Scroll

Why Fans Are So Excited for the Percy Jackson Show

Disney

Books and their film adaptations are often controversial among readers. Too often, the on-screen characters and environment distort what readers expect, and sometimes the plot contributes to that. That was the case in the “Percy Jackson” movies. Two movies were made, neither being congruent with the books. Characters were different, plots were shifted, and important characters and scenes were erased completely. Readers were understandably upset by this, and it has been a large conversation in the fandom.
Now, I understand that a movie is only so long. It can only fit so many things. However, the characters felt lackluster and lame compared to the books. Annabeth, for one, was reduced to little more than a love interest for Percy and did not have the same gusto she did in the books. Ares, arguably one of the best fight scenes in the series, was taken out. The only reason Hades was after Percy, the Helm of Darkness, was also taken out. For many readers like myself, reading is an escape. The books readers escape into become very near and dear to the readers. So, seeing poor adaptations of the books is disappointing.
I can’t sit here and dunk on the movies completely. Personally, I did enjoy them, separate from the books. I love Alexandra Daddario, so her playing Annabeth was awesome. There were great moments of sarcasm and humor that I enjoyed. I even liked the plots, as long as I didn’t compare them to those of the books.
Even still, the fact of the matter is that the movies did not live up to fans’ expectations. So, when they were canceled, there was not much love lost. However, in May 2020, Rick Riordan himself announced the “Percy Jackson” television show.
Fans already liked the show better despite it not yet being released, simply because the author was writing it. That means that the core ideas and characters of the book would stay the same. The casting is also very good. Walker Scobell as Percy, Leah Jeffries as Annabeth, and Aryan Simhadri as Grover. They are all around 13-14, which makes it more realistic. Often, adults will play high schoolers, making it feel weird and not immersive. The choice to have real children depict child characters is a good one.
Another reason fans are so excited is the length. Because the movies have limited time, they have limited potential. Now, that limit has expanded, with the first season mainly focused on the first book. This allows for more character development, more plot, and more time to make it faithful to the books.
Overall, the series is shaping up to be much more beloved than the movies. The actors are good, the length provides more opportunity to improve, and the writer of the books is heading the project. Once it is released, I will be sure to review it. I am very excited to see these episodes and how they compare to the movies, especially with the characters. The first two episodes will be released on Disney+ on Dec. 20, 2023, bringing fans what they have been missing for years.