• Inside the world on Billy Ward

Sports

Inside the world on Billy Ward

• Meet Angel the daschund!

Feature

Meet Angel the daschund!

• Sports

Carter Zeller’s 1000th Point

• Feature

Mental Health, an everyday struggle

• Feature

This Month In History: January

The Scroll

The Student News Site of Fargo North High School

The Scroll

The Scroll

The Scroll stuck in an in-between of club and curriculum that leaves it without funding

Scroll staff 23-24

We can just say morning, because if it were a good morning, you would be reading this in a physical newspaper instead of this weird PDF you got in your email. Apologies. We also wish you were reading this on a physical paper, one we worked tirelessly on to write, organize, publish, and print. But here we are.
For the length of any of our memories, the school newspaper – the printing and camera costs – have been entirely funded by advertising sales and working concessions. We don’t believe this is how it should have been done in the first place. But to change the way things have always been done can be challenging.
The newspaper exists in a weird sort of in-between. It’s both a curricular class and a club. But as a class, it makes sense to us that most of that should be funded with budget money. You don’t see science classes fundraising for labs or CTE classes raising money for food, wood, and art supplies. Because of the in-between of the class, the ideas to secure other funding have been shut down since it is a curricular class, but then, where are the curricular dollars?
Now, it would be wrong of us not to admit that times have changed and that media has increasingly gone digital. We’re working to adapt to that, with our website fnhscroll.org. However, we strongly believe that print media still has its place, and has even seen a bit of resurgence since 2020. We believe that Spartan students enjoy the print edition of The Scroll throughout the school year, and that it is fun for students to see themselves and their classmates in print.
We love seeing the copies of The Scroll get opened during our classes. We know that not everyone agrees with the viewpoints expressed in The Scroll. We encourage you to join our team and share your perspective. At the end of the day, agree or disagree, we do know that our physical papers get read and discussed. We want to continue the excitement of seeing who the Staff Feature is for December, whether all the student’s profiled really like PSL, and reliving fun events like HoCo, Prom, or a sports season wrap-up.
Students, do you have any ideas and suggestions for how to keep the print edition of The Scroll part of North High? We’re actively looking for sponsors and advertisers to support the printing of our paper, and we’d love it if you could share any contacts with [email protected].
We don’t know what the future of The Scroll holds. While we will work hard to increase our digital coverage at fnhscroll.org, we hope that there can be a return to at least a couple of print editions this year.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Scroll
$810
$1400
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Fargo North High School. Your contribution will allow us to resume physical printing of our newspaper for students at Fargo North!